At www.studienwahl.at/en you can find an overview of all degree courses at all Austrian institutions of Higher Education.
The language of instruction is usually German.
Many institutions, however, also offer courses in other languages, see www.studienwahl.at/en for further information.
Structure of study programmes
Most universities and universities of applied sciences offer the following:
- Bachelor’s programmes: 6-8 semesters
- Master’s programmes: 2-4 semesters
- Doctoral/PhD programmes: at least 6 semesters.
Moreover, the following is also an option:
- Diploma programmes: 8-10 semesters
- Doctoral programmes: 4 semesters.
The academic year in Austria, as a rule, begins on October 1st and ends on September 30thof the following year.
It consists of two semesters:
- Winter semester (October 1st to January 30th),
- Summer semester (March 1st to September 30th)
There are also periods during in which no lectures are held (Christmas, semester and summer breaks). Exceptions to this schedule are possible; please enquire at the educational institution of your choice.)
Recognition of University Degrees
Please have the nostrification (recognition) of your Austrian degree checked in your home country. See www.enic-naric.net for further information.